FDA Releases Records Checklist for the Foreign Supplier Verification Programs
Do you import ingredients or animal food products into the U.S.? If so, you may be subject to the Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP) regulation, one of the seven rules of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). Being subject to FSVP depends on the nature of the products you import.
Find out if FSVP applies to you
Am I Subject to FSVP? The FDA has a document to help facilities figure out whether or not they’re subject to the FSVP regulation or modified requirements.
If your facility is subject to FSVP, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has now released a document for Foreign Supplier Verification Programs for Importers of Food for Humans and Animals (FSVP) Regulation Records Requirements.
This document addresses the responsibilities of importers and suppliers who must comply. It lists the records that should be made and helps you answer common questions:
- What hazard analysis must I conduct?
- What evaluation for foreign supplier approval and verification must I conduct?
- What foreign supplier verification and related activities must I conduct?
- What corrective actions must I take under my FSVP?
- How must the importer be identified at entry?
- How must I maintain records of my FSVP?
This document also addresses some of the modified requirements applying to records, including answers to the following questions:
- What requirements apply when I import a food that cannot be consumed without the hazards being controlled or for which the hazards are controlled after importation?
- What FSVP must I have if I am importing a food subject to certain dietary supplement current good manufacturing practice regulations?
- What FSVP may I have if I am a very small importer or if I am importing certain food from certain small foreign suppliers?
- What FSVP may I have if I am importing certain food from a country with an officially recognized or equivalent food safety system
If you have any questions about the FSMA for animal food, including FSVP, please contact Marissa Herchler.